With press release distribution, optimization for search engines is important for two reasons:
1. Journalists and individual consumers can’t find press releases online if they are not optimized for the relevant key words.
2. Websites will not benefit from SEO if the relevant key words are not optimized in the press release.
The most important factor with press release SEO (search engine optimization) is keyword density. It is very important for everyone to know the keyword density of their press release. Keyword density is the measurement in percentage, the number of times a keyword or phrase appears compared to the total number of words.
Search engines like Google and Yahoo use keyword density as a factor to determine whether a web page is relevant to a specified keyword or keyword phrase.
If your keyword density is too high, it can get flagged as search engine spam and ignored by search engines. Use this free SEO tool before distributing all press releases.
Steps for optimizing press release keyword Density:
- Choose at least 3 keywords or phrases that you would expect journalists or customers to use to find your press release with a search engine.
- Enter these key words and your press release into the appropriate boxes in our Key Word Density Tool.
- Adjust the number of key words in your press release until you have reached the optimum percentage.
Appropriate keyword density for press releases:
Press Release Body: 3% to 5%
Press Release Headline: 15% to 20%
Press Release Summary: 2% to 10%